YOUTH VIDEO PROJECT
MILITARY OR WHAT?!
Video Contest on Asian American Youth and Military Recruitment
Deadline: December 10, 2008
Calling all Asian American / Pacific Islander youth 24 and under!
You are invited to make a video telling us what you think about these questions:
1. How does military recruitment affect you?
2. Do you want to join the military? Why or why not? Do you have friends or family that are in the military?
3. Have you ever talked to a military recruiter? What have they told you?
4. What do you think about military recruiters in your school?
Ready to make a video?
We welcome homemade entries – your can be made with a webcam, cell phone camera, etc.
What are the submission criteria?
• You must be 24 years of age and younger to be considered
• The video must be 10 minutes or under
• We are seeking thoughtful, creative, and engaging work by and about Asian American young people and military recruitment in schools
• The contest is open Asian and Pacific Islander young people (this includes Central, South, Southeast, and East Asian young people, as well as Pacific Islander young people)
What are we looking for?
• Creativity • Visual and audio quality • Clear message
Why Enter? Prizes and more…
You have something to say about military recruitment. Basically, you have an opinion and want to share it with the world! But, okay, we’ll spill the beans about our prizes, to be awarded to each of the following categories:
1) Best Overall Submission 2) Best Technical Piece 3) Clearest Message
Prizes are as follows:
• Video production workshop with Third World Newsreel, a NYC-based alternative media arts organization that fosters the creation, appreciation and dissemination of independent film and video by and about people of color and social justice issues. For more information, check out their website at http://www.twn.org.
• MP3 players
All winners will get to screen their short at a New York City. Venue TBD.
How do I submit a video?
Go to http://www.youtube.com/MilitaryOrWhat and post a video response to the video “Military or What?!”
Who are we?
We’re Nodutdol, a Korean community organization based in Queens, New York.
Why YouTube? Why now?
We want to hear your thoughts! YouTube is an international, visual way for people to share ideas and information. It’s a way for people to create their own media. Also, it’s a free, easy way for you to share your work with millions of people. We know that military recruitment happens in your schools and neighborhood, and we want to know your thoughts about it.
Questions about this project?
Message us on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/MilitaryOrWhat
Call us at 718.335.0419 Email us at
This project has been made possible by support from the A.J. Muste Memorial Institute http://www.ajmuste.org